Sunday, December 27, 2009

Stuck in the ground with my crush watching.

This all starts with a dead cellphone.
I left my cellphone charger in Buffalo, NY. I live in Staten Island, NY. Best friend Dan and resident of b-lo said he would get it back to me somehow, soon. So, for the meantime I bought a car charger because mine broke a while back. Catch is, you have to be in your car to charge your phone. I forgot about that part.
So I went out. It was midnight. Nothing to do. Day before Christmas. Driving around. Phone charging.
I come up to a well known pot-holey intersection. Where my crush from middle school lived, right on the corner. I would frequently walk home ten steps behind him and watch him enter that big, white house regularly. I carefully  begin to cross the intersection but as soon as I'm in front of the house my tire drops into a big icy, slush-filled pothole. I'm stuck in the ground. 
Beyonce's "Halo" plays on the radio. 
I try turning, I try reversing, I try slow, I try fast. Still stuck. Water and ice erupts from underneath my tire.
I call my Mother and she says to try third gear. As I'm talking to her, I see a middle-aged woman peer out from the front door of the big house; she's clutching the arms of her performance fleece for warmth, squinting, in order to see the distressed driver before her. She seems nosy and worried.
I back up in third gear. The car rocks. This is good.
A round guy in sweats and a  gigantic bubble jacket appears next to my car.
It's my crush from sixth grade.
I open my window. "You stuck?" he asks. Good question. "Yeah. Uh...do you know what to do?", I ask. "No, she told me to come out and help. She feels bad."  
Now, I want to try to get out of this hole. However, he's so close that if I were to continue I'd spray him with freezing ice water. I ask him to back up. He does, slightly.
I try to back up. It sprays him a bit. He back up even more. I hit the accelerator, I'm rocking back and forth, back and forth. He watches from the corner. Andddd I'm out of the hole! I don't want to stop because I might risk the chance of getting stuck in the other cracks and holes in the area. So I scream "Thank you!!" out the window and continue on my way home.
THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment