Monday, December 28, 2009

Unnecessary breaking and entering.


I sometimes watch my sister's dogs when she goes away.

She lives in new Jersey. Not too far away, 20 minutes or so. She told me to be at her house by 10 pm. I was with my Mother at my aunt's house and we didn't end up leaving until midnight. I arrived at her house at 1 am.

I get to the door, hands full of bags and it's locked. She usually keeps the key under the mat for me. I get my cellphone out to see. My cellphone does not give much light. It's like a shitty bluish glow. I couldn't make out much but what I could see is that there was no mat in sight. No key either. 

I'm locked out. And I can't call her because I don't want her to know I arrived so late. And I can't see a thing.

I put down my items and make my way to the other doors in the house. Funnily enough, there are a lot of other doors, she usually does not lock the back door. I try the first door on the side, locked. The cellar door, locked. On my way to the back, I step in a big pile of dog shit. Couldn't see it but I think I could tell by the consistency of what I slipped in and the fact that it smells a lot like shit. The two back doors are open, leading my way into the screen-room but the door into the house is locked. 

I call my Mom. The phone is out of service. I call her cellphone, no answer. I call my Nanny because she is the only one up. She talks to me on the phone as I try every window. I even try shimmying into a small window in the greenhouse. 

My Mom finally calls me back and tells me that she recently unlocked the guest-room's window on the side of the house. I try but the screen is tightly secure in the window frame. I have to bend and rip the screen out. My hands are covered in dirt. The window is very old. Each strong push lifts the window an inch each time.

It's finally up. But I can't just fall into the room. The window is very high. 
I see a hose box close. I pull it over to the window to use as a step up. My foot snaps the top off. I place it back on top. I step up again, it cracks as I push myself through the window head first, hitting my head into the floor and my body onto an easel and a few other pointy items.

I spring up. I finally got in.

The lights don't work in that room. I'm still in the dark. I stumble to the living room, following only the flashing light from the new messages alert on her house phone and finally put the lights on.

I got it now.

But why didn't she leave me a key? She always does. Where was the mat? I tried to clean my shoe as much as possible but did I get dog shit all over everything during this process?

I let the dogs out in the front, put the light on, and bring in my bags. I decide to search the area a bit. I find the key on the side of the door under a broom leaning against the house.

I couldn't see it. I didn't even know the broom was there. Where is that damn mat?

THE END




No comments:

Post a Comment